Should I opt for homemade dog food or store-bought dog food? This is one of the questions a lot of dog owners ask. Just like regular humans, every puppy deserves to have a proper nutrition meal and it is our responsibility as dog parents to carefully select their diet plan. However, doing meal planning for your puppy can be quite an overwhelming task. But worry not because this article will show you a comprehensive guide on how to make a proper meal plan for your beloved furry puppy.
Most dog owners are used to buying commercially-prepared dog food because opening cans and packs is easier for them than cooking your pup’s meal. Thus, you need to be knowledgeable of what is okay and not okay for them to eat or your pup’s health could be put at risk. It is in light of this that there have been so many commercial dog food recalls that happened over the past few years which made plenty of dog owners concerned. This situation has motivated owners to prepare homemade non-artificial dog food that is sure to be safe and healthy.
Making homemade dog food is actually simple and easy, as long as you have the right guide to follow. A lot of homemade puppy food has been surfacing over the internet so doing a homemade version is actually not as hard as you think it is. The early stages of being a pup are a critical stage for development. This is the stage where they develop their organs as well as build their bones and muscles. Usually, a puppy starts to eat solid food at around four weeks of age. The food that they eat is not only crucial to their physical growth and development, it can also affect their behavior.
Since puppies grow fast in their first five months, providing them with enough calories is very important. Generally, it is best to give them twice the amount of calories each day than their adult counterparts, so they should eat full meals three times a day. Thus, their food should be full of protein, vitamins, and minerals to aid them in growing. If you wanna know the ideal recommended calories for your pup, you can consult a veterinarian or simply check the food label at the back of the puppy food.
Make sure that you feed your puppy the same time everyday. According to animal experts, the ideal time for feeding pups is during 7:00 AM (morning breakfast) 12:00 PM (lunch), and 5:00 PM (dinner). It’s fine to give them treats or in between meals, but make sure not to overfeed (or underfeed) them in order to maintain a healthy weight.
Your puppy is too adorable and irresistible, so keep in mind the 90/10 rule when feeding them. This rule is most recommended by vets and means that 90% of your pup’s calories should come from the full meals you prepare, while the other 10% come from treats. Always remember that moderation is key.
Set up a meal plan:
This is by far the most important thing to do as dog parents. It would be so much easier to feed them if you make a puppy meal plan each week so that you would know what to feed them, making it a less overwhelming task for you every time you feed them. You can consult your vet for this and you can also look at the internet for recipes. If you don’t have the time, no need to worry, the following part of this blog would be all about this, so continue reading.
It’s fine if you prefer feeding your pup more commercial puppy food than making your own. It’s relatively easier and as long as you’re feeding them the right brand and the right amount, then you’re certain that they’re getting the right nutritional value from what they’re eating. However, you cannot just depend on canned foods and kibbles alone, you need to fulfill the required nutritional value that they need in order for them to grow strong and healthy.
Homemade puppy food is more nutritious and delicious than commercially-prepared ones. In addition, you have the certainty that there are no artificial ingredients and preservatives. It’s also cheaper as well. Here are some ideas for your homemade puppy meal plan:
Examples: fish, chicken, lean beef, turkey
Examples: Potatoes, rice, pasta
Examples: Pumpkin, Carrots, green beans
Your puppy's teething phase can be a challenge, but with Artemispaw's guidance, it doesn't have to be. From frozen treats to rope toys, discover effective and safe solutions that can ease your pup's discomfort and keep their relentless chewing in check.
In our ultimate guide to comfortable rainy day dog walks, we walk you through the top essentials for a positive experience. Learn about protective gear for your pet, safety tips, and how to maintain your comfort during the walk. A rainy day doesn't mean you and your pet can't have a memorable and enjoyable walk.